How many times do so many of us have dinner with a pizza? Or do they take a clove, just to break their appetite, when they are away from home?
Pizza is a Dish
Pizza is an exceptional dish. Good, indeed very good, even though, there is no pizza chef, who makes one the same as that of another colleague. Even those who have learned from the same cook – pizza maker, in general, cannot reproduce it the same. What changes, especially for those who make a professional pizzaiolo, is a set of factors, which put together to give the final result: the choice of ingredients, the proportion, and the way of mixing the same basic ingredients of the pasta (water, flour, and yeast!), the time dedicated to leavening, as well as the temperature and humidity of the room in which the dough rests, … last but not least, the oven, the type of oven (wood or electric or gas) and the temperature. In short, each pizza is unique.
Where and when to eat pizza in Italy:
According to purists, pizza is not eaten at noon, but only for dinner! It was difficult, at least until a few years ago, to find a pizzeria open at midday in the cities of southern Italy. Today, with the increasing spread of tourism, even pizza chefs have adapted and started putting wood in the oven as early as 10 in the morning. But there are always some tough guys who try to resist this outrage, luckily!
Instead, what is impossible is to go to any village in our country and not even find a pizzeria or a restaurant that also has a pizza oven. So, even when you leave for the holidays or a simple cultural and artistic tour up and down the boot, you won’t have to worry: badly, a pizzeria is always available!
The exception of the pizza by the slice does not only concern the size, but also the fact that it definitively clears the taboo of pizza at lunchtime: with pizza by the slice, even in the south, pizza can be eaten at any time and enters the category of street food. Nothing could be simpler than wandering around the streets of the center, enjoying a piece of pizza: and avoiding getting dirty!
Learn how to prepare a delicious homemade pizza
The pizza recipe to make at your home
Here, then, is how to make pizza at home: whether you are lucky enough to have a traditional pizza oven (wood, electric, or gas) or use the classic modern oven, it doesn’t matter. The ingredients, the doses, and the technique are always the same.
The ingredients for homemade pizza:
The doses of the ingredients below are calculated for about 850 grams of dough, which, hopefully, should be enough to bake three round pizzas with a diameter of 28 – 30 cm.
Start by preparing everything you need in front of you:
- 500 grams of flour 00
- 7 grams of fresh brewer’s yeast
- 10 grams of extra virgin olive oil
- 350 ml of natural mineral water at room temperature
- 8 grams of salt.
The steps for the preparation of homemade pizza
- Sift the flour and put it in a fairly large bowl. Add the crumbled brewer’s yeast to the flour and mix the mixture. Using a wooden spoon (avoid your hands, as their heat could ruin the yeast). Now you have to pour the water a little at a time. You have to mix it so that it is absorbed by the flour avoiding the formation of lumps.
- Once you have poured all the water. You will need to proceed by adding the salt and olive oil, without ever stopping mixing.
- The dough you have obtained must now rest for at least 30 minutes. Ideally at a temperature of 26 – 28 ° C. Inside the bowl is covered with a transparent plastic film. To maintain the temperature. You can put the bowl inside the oven in off mode or you can cover it with a blanket.
- After half an hour. The most folkloric moment has come. Put the dough on the work surface and fold it back on itself. Repeating the operation on all four sides. Close the dough three times and reform the ball. You will have to rest again for another 20 minutes. This same operation must be repeated three times. But for the last of these you will have to add a drizzle of oil and let it rest for three hours at room temperature (total leavening and resting: initial 30 minutes, plus two more tranches from 20 each, and the last from 3 hours, so over 4 hours).
- After the necessary time, it is time to divide the dough into three portions of approximately the same weight. Each of these will become a pizza, but first, they will have to rest for another hour at room temperature, always covered with a clean cloth.