Don’t we all look for ways to use our old clothes in an entirely new way? Either be it our fav shirt, sweatshirt or jeans or accessories. We just don’t want to throw it away.
If this is the case, don’t worry, you are just in the perfect place. In today’s article, we will cover all the quick and easy ideas on how you can use old, tried-and-true sweatshirts. Bonus points if you are an art lover or a casual crafter. As it will be easier to pull off these tips and ideas without turning them into an absolute mess.
So without any further ado, grab your favorite Gildan G180 crewneck sweatshirt or any other. And let’s get artsy!
How To Revive An Outdated Sweatshirt
It’s not uncommon to have to do some minor repairs on a sweatshirt before you can start refashioning or customizing it. Depending on how worn the sweatshirt is, these methods may make even the most worn-in of sweatshirts appear as good as new.
- Thrift store treasures should always be washed and treated with fabric sanitizer. Vinegar may soften it and eliminate any lingering odors, making it a great all-around cleaner.
- Shave off the offending areas to get rid of peach fuzz (avoid razors with moisturizing strips). Make sure you don’t snip through the fabric. Spread the fabric out flat and smooth it out. Be careful not to shave too harshly. To remove the fuzz from the sweatshirt, run it over it gently.
- If the fabric is old and faded, get a bottle of fabric dye to refresh the color or give the items a whole new look (this works especially well for white or other light-colored sweatshirts that have faded to a dismal gray or yellow). Don’t get it if you’re planning on bleaching, tie-dying, or otherwise altering the garment to achieve a distressed appearance.
Guide On Sewing Changes To A Sweatshirt
Sewing is one of the most transformative things you can do to your wardrobe. However, a sewing machine is not required. Most projects only require a few stitches by hand, but if you don’t have a sewing machine, fabric glue will do the trick as well.
All right, let’s begin with the basic makeover!
Converting an oversized sweatshirt or one of your boyfriend’s hoodies into a beautiful and comfy dress is a breeze. Two large sweatshirts are required for a longer dress. However, if desired, a single large sweatshirt can be worn as a dress with leggings.
Take this advice and make a stunning color-blocked dress by combining two contrasting hues.
Design A One-Of-A-Kind Pocket
It’s easy to do it yourself! It is possible to either sew over an existing pocket or remove it and use it as a design to make a new one. In addition, we think you should try out several different forms to see what works best.
Combinations With Other Clothes
Sweatshirt mixing and matching is a fun do-it-yourself project. Basically, you can use a denim jacket by removing the sleeves and sewing on new ones. A denim jacket with sweatshirt sleeves and a sweater with denim sleeves—what a fantastic combination! (it looks better with softer denim fabric).
Another option is to take a white shirt, snip off the collar and hem, and sew it onto a sweatshirt. When wearing this, we personally think it looks best without the elastic bands (cuffs and bottom).
Two hoodies with contrasting colors or designs might also be used. You could also shibori-dye one of them and then switch the sleeves around.
Make It A Cropped Sweatshirt
There are three ways to modify a hoodie. You can:
- Cut it and leave it as is (no need for sewing or gluing),
- For a neat finish, you should: fold back the cloth where you cut it for a clean edge (sewable or glueable; pro tip: in both situations, iron the fold; it really does make a difference in the look);
- Reattach the elastic ribbon at the hem by sewing it back on.
Support for the latest version is finally available. You can probably figure out the first two without any assistance, and the third crop top is also rather simple.
In addition, if you’re good with a needle and thread, you may try your hand at creating your own one-of-a-kind sweatshirts and hoodies.
How To Decorate Your Hoodie?
A sweatshirt like the Gildan G180 can be quickly and easily updated by decorating it. For this purpose, different decorations can be used to create different looks. But let’s limit ourselves to a short list!
- pom poms (store-bought, handmade, small, big, fluffy, etc., you name it),
- pom pom trims,
- sew-on and iron-on gems, beads, stones,
- embroidery (mostly hand embroidery if you don’t own an embroidery machine),
- iron-on embroidered patch,
- small bows.
Check this out: Top 30+ couple names for Instagram that you need to use!